Yields 10 Portions
2T Olive Oil
1ea Onion, minced
2T Brown sugar
.5c Red wine
1oz Dry basil (Double if using fresh)
5ea clove garlic, grated
- Sweat onion, anchovy and sugar in oil until soft.
- Deglaze with red wine, cook out all alcohol. The sharp, stinging aroma will dissipate.
- Add tomato and simmer for 45 minutes stirring often to prevent burning.
- Finish sauce with basil and grated garlic. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can be stored for a week or frozen indefinitely.