Here’s a great recipe for a meatless chili. Check the notes below if you want to add some!
Yields 10 Portions
2 ea Onion, chopped
1c Sundried tomatoes, reconstituted, save the liquid
1T Hot pepper – optional, and depending on peppers used amount may vary
8 ea Garlic cloves
Remaining Ingredients and Garnishes
1qt Tomato juice or sauce
2# Beans of choice
2# Meat if desired
1# Diced tomato
Minced onion, crumbled queso fresco or desired cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Cook beans to 80% doneness. While cooking prepare the chili paste by combining all ingedients in the blender until smooth.
- Sweat the chili paste in 1/4 C high smoke point oil. You want the oil to be smoking so that it fries the paste.
- Cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the sundried juice, tomato juice or sauce and beans and simmer for 30 minutes. Add in the remaining vegetables and cook for 10 minutes
- Serve with minced onion, cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
If using meat feel free to saute it in the oil before frying the paste. Leave the brown particulate on the pan and it will infuse the flavor of the meat. If the chili is to thin you can use masa harina or corn starch to thicken it. Add this at the same time you add in the final vegetables.